Craig County Public Library, Inc. empowers individuals and builds our community by bringing people, information and resources together.
Provide essential tools for building the community’s prosperity through education, information, and social interaction.
– Ensuring equitable access to citizens, engaging people with positive experiences, and inspiring creativity
– Delivering the right resources at the right time – connecting people with the information they need when it is needed
– Enhancing early and life-long learning
– Supporting individuals with resource navigation
– Empowering people with up-to-date technology resources
Adapt and Innovate
– Adapting to the changing and world around us and how this shapes delivery of library and information services
– Investing in our staff and infrastructure through adaptive and innovative services and resources
– Strengthening and expanding partnerships with individuals, public and non-profit agencies, community groups, education, and businesses
– Providing opportunities for people to meet, exchange ideas, and participate in the life of the community
– Providing exceptional service with integrity and respect
On April 7, 2003, the Craig County Board of Supervisors passed a “Resolution of Recognition” that officially created Craig County Public Library. Nestled in the mountains of Southwest Virginia, and bordering on West Virginia, Craig County covers 331 square miles (over 50% of this is national forest land) and has a population of a little more than 5,000. The library is located on Main Street in New Castle, the county seat.
A grand opening for the library was held in July 2004, after extensive renovations on the small, county-owned building. The library has come a long way since that time, thanks to the continued dedication and determination of many generous individuals. Volunteers are responsible for the existence of the library in Craig County, and they are still an essential component of the library’s operation.
The library is organized as a non-profit corporation, Craig County Public Library, Inc. The corporation’s Bylaws can be viewed online. Friends of the Library meetings are held at the library on the second Monday of the month (except August and December) at 6:00 p.m. and are open to the public.